Thursday, September 07, 2006

Oh Crikey!

Well, I'm sure that everyone has heard about it by now. Steve "The Crocodile Hunter" Irwin was killed this past weekend by a stingray. No, that's not a typo. A stingray. Not a croc, not a fer de lance or a king brown, not a brown recluse. A fucking stingray. To me, this is like Jeff Gordon or Dale Earnhart Jr, racing and racing and racing at unimaginable speeds, and then getting into a fatal wreck in a minivan going 20 mph.

I think I feel the same way alot of people do about this. I'll miss the man. He was a great entertainer and an even greater person. I can't, however, say that this comes as a great shock. The first time I ever saw the man's show, I said to myself, "This guy is trying to kill himself." He wasn't, but he was certainly travelling at the edge. Which is why we watched and its why he was loved. Another part is that we felt that we "got to know him" a little. In a large part because his family was part of the show. At least, that's the way I felt about it.

Like most things, I eventually got bored with watching The Crocodile Hunter. I moved on, but I'll never forget his show, his antics, his pure love for the animals that he was trying to teach us about.

Goodbye Steve, and rest knowing that you left the world a better place than when you got here.