Thursday, December 07, 2006

Political Correctness

I'm tired of everyone always being worried about stepping on other peoples' toes. At this point, I don't give a fuck if I offend someone, unless its someone whose feelings actually matter to me. And that list has recently shrunk severely. Don't like how I think? Tough shit. Don't like what I say? Deal with it. Don't like my lack of sensitivity? Go fuck yourself. I think what I want and I usually say what I want. That's the way it is, and the way its going to stay. That does NOT, however, mean that I'm too stubborn to change the way I think. I have an open mind regardless whether or not I agree with you. Just because I don't agree with you, that doesn't mean that I'm close-minded or whatever new buzzword/insult you want to hurl at me.

One thing I've really noticed lately is how everyone cries about free speech until someone says something they don't like. Then they want them shut up. I think Freddie Phelps and his Westboro Baptist Church fucktards are terrible for this country. "God hates fags" I think is their call to arms. Well, I don't believe in god, and I know a few "fags". I happen to like them all. Ol' Freddie does have the right to say it, though, whether you like it or not. Just because you disagree, that doesn't mean that they can't. Take, for instance, the wonderful little spectacle that happened at, I believe, Columbia University a couple months ago. The founder of the Minutemen orginization(the ones that were trying to patrol the US/Mexico border for illegal crossings) was speaking to an audience there. He was invited to speak by a student orginization. When he was introduced to the podium, another group of students rushed the stage to stop him from speaking and a melee ensued. The latter group's defense after the fact? "Our 1st Amendment rights were being trampled!" So, by trampling someone else's 1st amendment rights, yours were violated? These people believe that the 1st amendment applies only to them...and they're not the only ones. Too many people believe this. This is probably a few days(months) late a few dollars short, but I just had to get this off my chest.

I hope that I didn't make too many spelling errors here. The Blogger spell checker doesn't seem to be working. My bad, if there are.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You did fine, B. Maybe an error or two, but your most error-ridden post is better than 95% of the atrociously painful tripe out there on the Intardnet.

I love the taste of irony in the evening - don't you? Students rushing a podium to prevent someone from exercising their freedom of speech, on the grounds that to allow someone that right would somehow infringe upon theirs, is bloody hilarious.

Of course, the inherent irony is likely lost on them, since there are few creatures more humorless than a college-age student who has recently discovered his or her capacity for self-righteousness.

Heh. Maybe someday I'll get atound to writing in my own blog. Maybe. Likely not this year, though. When (if) that happens, I'll show you a thing or two about infuriating posts, and pissing people off. At least, I hope so.

7:52 PM MST  
Blogger Matt said...

I hope so too, darlin'. I hope so too.

9:27 PM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home