Thursday, November 17, 2005

Something Interesting

In the trial of Joseph P. Smith, accused of raping and murdering 11 year old Carlie Brucia, the defense pulled a surprise move and declined to make a closing argument. A sign of defeat? Possibly. The prosecution has videotape of Smith abducting Carlie, DNA evidence, and a confession to the crimes from Smith himself. Not to mention, Smith told his brother where to find the body of the poor child...but he didn't DO it. Come on. I understand that you have to defend yourself but, goddamn. This is a capital murder trial and Smith could, and probably will, get the death penalty. What is the point of declining to make a closing? Are they trying to guarantee an appeal? I was under the impression that ALL death penalty convictions have an automatic appeal. Maybe, but this is in Floriduh. <--- Intentional mistype.

Personally, I don't see how anyone can think that Smith did NOT commit these crimes. And I hope that he is given the death penalty. I just wish that it didn't take as long to get these evil people on the gurney, so the taxpayers don't have to continue to foot the bill for them. And I wish that the punishment truly fit the crime. Carlie was brutally raped and murdered. Smith will simply "go to sleep". No pain, no suffering. Nothing like what Carlie had to endure, or what her family is still enduring. Am I being too hard on him? I don't think so. An eye for an eye, right? I don't think any punishment is too severe for someone that murders a defensless child. Floriduh had better come through on this one. Its unsurmountable evidence.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home